The object of the association shall be the encouragement of mounted shooting in Mid-Willamette Valley Oregon and to provide an outlet for those persons wishing to compete by the rules as specified in the Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association Rule Book. We will encourage organized shooting of single action .45 caliber pistols of the type available prior to 1900 among citizens of the United States resident in our community, with a view toward a better knowledge on the part of such citizens of the safe handling and proper care of firearms, as well as improved marksmanship. It shall be our further object and purpose to forward the development of those characteristics of honesty, good fellowship, self-discipline, team play and self-reliance, which are the essentials of good sportsmanship and the foundation of true patriotism. The further intention of the organization is to provide an atmosphere and social climate conducive to riding, camping, and other similar events where the members dress and conduct themselves in a fashion that promotes our western heritage. The Board of Directors following the guidelines set forth in the following articles shall administer the affairs of the association.
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of the organization shall be Applegate Trail Peacemakers.
ARTICLE II - BUSINESS ADDRESS
PO Box 72321
Eugene, OR 97401
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
- MEMBERSHIP in Applegate Trail Peacemakers, Inc. shall consist of the Board of Directors and members.
- DUES shall be determined by the Board of Directors at the year-end board meeting.
- ELIGIBILITY in Applegate Trail Peacemakers shall be extended to all persons of good character who would like to become members of an organization dedicated to the preservation of the cowboy lifestyle.
Each new applicant will have his/her application submitted to the Board of Directors for approval. Membership can be denied by majority vote of the Board.
- RESIGNATIONS, SUSPENSION, EXPULSION, AND REINSTATEMENT OF MEMBERS
- Resignation - A member in good standing may tender their resignation at any time to any member or members of the Board of Directors. A member's resignation will not be cause for a refund of membership dues.
- Suspension - Any member who, through his actions, has caused personal injury to themselves or others, damage to another's property or livestock, or has projected themselves to be of undesirable character may be put on suspension by the Board of Directors until such time that the board has had the opportunity to review the matter.
- Expulsion - A member will be expelled from Applegate Trail Peacemakers with a 2/3's majority vote by the Board of Directors. Expulsion would result from either a member's total disregard for the welfare of the organization through their actions or any blatant and continued safety violations. In either case the decision will be based on specific incidents or actions.
- Reinstatement - Any member suspended or expulsed from the Applegate Trail Peacemakers may after a period of ninety (90) days appear before the Board of Directors to seek a reversal of the Board of Directors decision concerning their membership status.
The Board of Directors reply to such action will be by mail only.
ARTICLE IV - CLOTHING
- COSTUME - All members of Applegate Trail Peacemakers will be required to wear clothing in compliance with current CMSA rules and regulations.
- NON-COMPLIANCE - Any member not complying with section 1 of this article may be requested to not participate in a match or exhibition at the discretion of the match director or Board of Directors.
ARTICLE V - ARMS and AMMUNITION
- FIREARMS - All firearms shall comply with current CMSA rules & regulations.
- AMMUNITION - All ammunition shall be provided by Applegate Trail Peacemakers. No live ammunition will be permitted at a Applegate Trail Peacemaker sanctioned match or practice.
- DISPLAY AMMUNITION - Contestants are to have no live ammunition on their person or in their cartridge belts or saddlebags. Dummy ammunition with inert or fired primers may be used in cartridge belts. Failure to follow this rule will result in disqualification and suspension.
ARTICLE VI - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- NUMBER OF DIRECTORS - The Applegate Trail Peacemakers Board of Directors will consist Of (6) Officers.
- SPECIFIC DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- President - The President shall schedule and preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors. He\she shall prepare the agenda for the meetings of the Board. He\she may appoint necessary committees to carry on the Board's program. The President, within the limits of the law, and at the direction of the Board of Directors, shall act from time to time as the representative of the Board and the Association. In addition, he\she shall have the authority to sign all papers required for the ongoing business of the Board and the Association. The President will be responsible for all assets and property belonging to Applegate Trail Peacemakers such as timer, cones, blanks, balloons etc.
- Vice President - The Vice President shall perform such duties as from time to time may be assigned to him or her. The Vice President, as authorized by the Board, shall have all the powers and perform all the duties of the President in case of the temporary absence of the President or in case of his or her temporary inability to act, the office shall be declared vacant by the Board of Directors and a successor chosen by the Board.
The Vice President shall serve as a member of all committees.
- Secretary - The secretary shall record the minutes of all Board meetings.
Maintain all membership roles, supervise the signup booth at all mounted shooting events, keep score at all timed events, and insure that match results be submitted to CMSA within the prescribed time allotted. The secretary shall be a signatory on the account of Applegate Trail Peacemakers.
- Treasurer - The treasurer shall record all gifts, donations, and financial transactions of the Board in an accepted bookkeeping method. The treasurer shall provide current financial reports at each regularly scheduled meeting and a yearly financial statement. All financial records will be available to the Board upon request. The treasurer shall also be responsible for the collection of all dues and entry fees. The treasurer shall deposit funds of the Association in such bank or banks as designated by the Board. The Treasurer shall supervise all payments of regularly occurring expenses and distribute winnings/payback for any and all matches. The treasurer shall make sure all Federal, State and Local taxes are prepared, filed and paid in a timely manner.
- Range Master - Shall insure that CMSA rules are followed at all events, supervise all personnel to insure their competence prior to their serving as line judges. Instruct new shooters in proper loading/unloading, gun handling, safety and safe horsemanship. The Range Master will also supervise any qualifying runs by new members or Non-Competition Cardholders to insure both the competitor and his\her mount is able to engage the prescribed course of fire safely. Must be a current CMSA Certified Range Master.
- Quarter Master - Shall be responsible for various tasks as agreed upon by the Board of Directors at the annual meeting, will be responsible for all assets and property belonging to Applegate Trail Peacemakers such as timer, cones, blanks, balloons etc.
ARTICLE VII - ELECTION AND TENURE
- TIME OF ELECTIONS - The election of officers shall take place during the Annual meeting of the Board of Directors which will be scheduled each year between November 1 and December 31.
- METHOD OF ELECTIONS - Board Members may submit nominations for the officers who are up for election/re-election and directors positions. The applying member must receive a majority vote by the board and members in good standing for confirmation. Current Incumbents will automatically be on the ballot if they so desire.
- TERM OF OFFICE - The term of office for all officers shall be (2) years and shall begin on the day following the election. An officer may be reelected to the same position or another board position as often as the board elects them. To insure continuity on the Board of Directors the officers will be up for election/re-election on odd and even years as listed elsewhere in these bylaws.
- VACANCIES - The Nominating Committee shall place before the board the name of an individual or individuals to be considered to complete the vacated term of office. The replacement shall be decided by a majority vote of the board.
ARTICLE VIII - QUALIFICATION OF BOARD MEMBERS
- PRESIDENT - Must be a Applegate Trail Peacemaker member for 2 years, and must have served on the board for 1 year. To be elected in odd years.
- VICE-PRESIDENT - Must be an Applegate Trail Peacemaker member for 2 year. To be elected in even years.
- SECRETARY - Must be a Applegate Trail Peacemaker member for 1 year. To be elected in odd years
- TREASURER - Must be an Applegate Trail Peacemaker member for 1 year. To be elected in even years.
- RANGE MASTER - Must be an Applegate Trail Peacemaker member for 1 year. To be elected in odd years.
- Quarter Master - Must have been a member of Applegate Trail Peacemakers for one year prior to serving. To be elected even years.
ARTICLE VIIII - EMERGENCY CLAUSE
- EMERGENCY CLAUSE - These By-laws may be temporarily suspended in full or in part when the Board of Directors decide an emergency exists and provided that the action is a temporary expedient to best serve the interest of all members of the Applegate Trail Peacemakers.
- Roberts Rules of Order shall govern the conduct of any business of Applegate Trail Peacemakers, which is not otherwise listed in these by-laws.
ARTICLE X - MEETINGS
The Board of Directors will decide when & where meetings will be held and schedule them as needed. All members in good standing, new or prospective members are welcome to attend meetings of the Board of Directors, unless a closed meeting is called. Those members who wish to address the Board of Directors should request of the President in writing that they would like to have an item added to the agenda. Requests to add business items to the agenda should be received by the President at least 48 hours in advance of meeting date.
The members will be notified via newsletter, e-mail and/or the calling committee of meeting time, date & location. In the event that an emergency or closed meeting is called no notification will be forthcoming.
ARTICLE XI - CHANGING BYLAWS
These bylaws may be changed as follows. Any board member in good standing may submit a proposed change to these bylaws by submitting the recommended change in writing at a regularly scheduled meeting to the Board of Directors. The Board will consider the change and vote on it at the next year-end board meeting. If the recommended change receives at least a 2/3 majority vote it will be adopted. A by-law committee will be formed as needed by the President and will make recommendations to the board of directors.
ARTICLE XII - COMMITTEES
Any member in good standing shall be eligible to serve on special and standing committees as formed at the direction of the President and/or Board of Directors to perform special projects for the betterment of Applegate Trail Peacemakers.